Thursday, March 23, 2017

Depression and signs of love

A friend of mine told me the other day that his son has been suspended from his high school for a few weeks. It kind of took me by surprise.

His son has been experimenting with some sort of drug in pill form. He has been taking it for at least a couple of weeks with some friends. Apparently, while he was high, he slapped the butt of a female student, which caused his suspension from school.

You hear all these stories about pills that get you high and how potent they can get. Some simply die from taking a single pill. So, I am grateful that his son is alive. However, there must be an underlying reason why he experimented with his friends.

My friend advised that his son is depressed. His son is in grade 9. I always feel that the transition between grades 6 and 7, and grades 8 and 9 to be the most difficult. For me, it was the former. I was incredibly depressed in grade 7 that I didn't want to go to school. It didn't make sense considering how much of I love to learn. I needed someone to talk about it, but I felt like I was being dismissed.

My cry for help was missing a ton of school. I managed to get counselling, which helped me talk things through and out. It made me realize that, despite missing nearly a month of school, that I still had decent marks. I still passed everything. I even managed to get the third highest mark in shop class out of all things!

His son is obese. His parents and daughter are bright as can be. He doesn't fit that mould. So, he is getting help by talking things through. I can only hope that things getting better for my friend's son and his family.

I told my guy about that. My guy and I know that both depression and anxiety tend to run in the family. Support is key. My guy has been doing pretty well getting help and being on medication. Naturally, it's different from one person to the next.
"I miss you," I said to him after our chat.
"Likewise," he told me. "I miss smacking your butt for being you."
"That makes me happy," I said.
My guy is happy and doing fine these days. I can't ask for anything more.

I went to the local drug store later that evening to pick up some vitamins. I found the purple sheep stuffed toy that my guy had bought me. There was only one left. It seemed like a nice sign that my guy is always with me, no matter where I go.

It's nice that I can come home and have reminders around that I am loved, especially when he is abroad.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry about your friends son...that is such a precarious age...so easy to feel rejected when you just want to be accepted and part of the group. I'm betting that part of his doing drugs is the feeling of acceptance he feels from the group doing drugs with him. Hope he gets good help soon. Happy your guy is doing well.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. According to my friend, his son is popular. However, I wonder if he is popular for the wrong reason. I am hoping that he gets the help, support, and love that he needs right now.

      Delete