Saturday, March 25, 2017

A colleague going through a second divorce

I get along with most of my colleagues. Naturally, I don't get along with everyone. There is the odd one that ends up being negative towards me. I can't deal with that toxicity, but I still end up working with this person to get whatever work-related tasks completed.

In this post, I am focusing on a colleague whom I have known for several years. She started a year after I did. She has held a number of positions at the company, including technical support, quality assurance, and software development.

A few years ago, she got married. I spoke to both of them together and on separate occasions at work.

That marriage didn't work out. Both my guy and I were surprised that it didn't, because they seemed to be a good fit.

Her hometown is Istanbul. She is a Canadian citizen. Shortly after her divorce, she returned to Istanbul. A year later, she met a man, dated, and got married yet again. My guy and I were thrilled that she had found love and happiness again.

She and her husband moved back to Canada. A couple of months ago, we bumped into each other in the kitchen at the office. We caught up. Her locker is next to mine.

On Friday, I visited the women's washroom at work. I opened the door and she was there looking in the mirror. She said hi to me and I reciprocated. She confided in me that her second marriage has dissolved. I didn't do any probing. When she is comfortable about sharing such details with me, she will. I let her know that if she wanted to talk about anything, I was there for her. She seemed to appreciate it.

Being divorced, I get how hard it can be on multiple levels. I won't be able to comprehend going through it twice, but I know that it is never pleasant dissolving a marriage. 

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your colleague...divorce is so painful and going through it a second time is even more painful...makes you really feel like a failure. Never did understand those people who went out and celebrated their divorce or had divorce parties. So happy you are there for her.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get divorce parties, either. I guess that it depends on who you are and how you deal with divorce. I didn't throw a bash and I doubt that I ever will if I were in that situation again!

      Delete