Thursday, November 03, 2016

Cell phone providers, a new phone, and customer service

I recently changed cell phone providers. I had been with my former provider just after I had graduated with an undergraduate degree, which was roughly under two decades ago.

As soon as my cell phone number was transferred to my new cell phone provider, the old one has sent a couple of e-mails, asking that I fill out a survey and that the carrier was sorry to see me go.

Although I would have liked to have stayed with the same cell phone provider, paying a ton of money a month more simply because contracts have changed from three years to two does not exactly make it affordable, even though I would still be okay.

Canada has expensive cell phone plans when you compare them at a global level. To get a subsidized phone, I would need to get on at least an $80 a month plan, which would actually be a downgrade for me. It only includes 500 MB of data. Yes, our data plans are ridiculously high.

I called my old cell phone provider before I made the switch. There were no decent offers given that would make me want to say. I was told that $200 would be knocked off towards subsidizing a new phone, but the $80 rate would stand. I asked how the transfer procedure would work. The woman didn't exactly prevent me from switching. She told me to go ahead and proceeded to explain the procedure.

In the past, I felt like I was a valued customer. Nope, times have changed. This company is so large that loyalty is obsolete.

I'm happy with my new cell phone plan, which is a corporate one. I am enamoured with my new Google Pixel phone. I enjoy using it. I feel bad for my iPhone. I had no problems ditching it.

On Tuesday, my guy called me to see how I was doing. I was at the local mall looking for a cell phone case for my phone. I managed to find two gel cases that were $8 each. I also got a glass screen protector for $10. I was amazed at how cheap everything was. The woman at the store even put the screen protector on for me. Wow!

Now, that's customer service. She gave me her business card. I will definitely be back.

I told my guy that I was talking on my new phone. He is equally as intrigued about the phone as I am. It's nice that he enjoys when I am all geeky with my gadgets. He likes the fact that I enjoy hearing about all the bargains that he found at Costco. It's nice.

4 comments:

  1. A change can be good sometimes, girl with the naughty name. And a brand new phone. And the opportunity to buy gadges

    Han

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change is definitely a good thing! I love my new phone. It has been a good learning experience so far.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting your new phone and plan, CB. I don't have a lot of choice here due to where my house is located. Phones that work at my neighbors house don't work down the hill at mine!

    Hugs and blessings..Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. Not all places have towers for decent cell phone reception. I am lucky to have a choice, but I have to go with major cell phone providers. If I go with smaller ones that offer cheaper prices, cell phone reception ends up being compromised. =(

      Delete