Monday, April 08, 2019

Web site and blog design, along with reducing apps

I have briefly mentioned a side project that I am working on with a handful of people. The person behind this project, whom is my friend, said that he had set up the Web site. I have been writing and feeding him content.

Well, I asked him to show me the Web site. It is literally one long page of sample content. I told him a while back to take my content and paste it. He hasn't. Either he doesn't know how to or is expecting me to do it.

Now that I have access to looking at these files on the FTP site, I pointed out that having a one-page Web site where each section changes after a certain period is annoying. It's also not the best if you have a ton of content and have to scroll down the single page to see what you want.

Since we talked about having a blog and my contributing to it, which I obviously have experience in, I asked if we can use WordPress or something where we can have both Web page and blog content all in one. He wanted one site for our Web site and another one for the blog. What?

He knows that I have Web site design and maintenance experience. When we worked together at the same company over a decade ago, I handled the corporate Web site.

Apparently, his version of WordPress is just for blogging. I have asked him to provide me with the login information and I'll take it from there. I need to see what version he has installed.

I tend to end up leading certain tasks, mainly because I am competent and have a vision for how Web site design and usability go. I can also recognize when things aren't going as well as they should, such as the one-page Web site without any of my content. The site is his and it probably is difficult to have someone else take over what he is supposed to do.

He also has asked me to join WeChat, WhatsApp, and Slack. We do not need so many communication channels. I uninstalled WeChat. All our development chats are on Slack, so we don't need WhatsApp. He also has my phone number and we can text. Just pick one app and stick with it!

Anyway, that's my little update on the odd things happening with this project. Here's hoping that I can get both the blog and Web site working this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment