Sunday, November 26, 2017

Black Friday sales... ugh!

For the last three years, I am turned off when it comes to Black Friday sales. I don't know why it has become a tradition in Canada when this ritual comes for our neighbours to the south. However, I feel the same way about Black Friday as I do with Boxing Day sales, with some minor differences.

Black Friday used to be shopping on that particular day for bargains. Yes, you'd be shopping on a Friday. These days, you have pre-Black Friday sales. And, there's a catch, too. You can actually have a full weekend or more of these Black Friday sales.

One word: Ugh.

Boxing Day is a Canadian holiday. In the past, stores would be closed that day. There would be Boxing Day sales on December 27, which is a day after this holiday. These days, you can have your sale start on Christmas or even earlier. And, it's not a Boxing Day sale. Oh, no. It's a Boxing week sale, which could carry on for longer than week. Stores are also open on Boxing Day.

The same word: Ugh.

I don't have much to buy for either sale. It has to be something that I truly need. I am trying to adopt a minimalistic approach to debt and shopping these days.

I have also done all my Christmas shopping. I am that prepared.

On Friday, it took forever for me to drive home. It seemed like everyone was out shopping.

My guy called me from Egypt, where he is there for less than a month. It was great hearing from him.  He is over his jetlag and is safe. Chatting with him made my commute more bearable.
"How's my cute girl?" he asked me.
"I am stuck in traffic. I am literally under highway 400," I replied.
"Are you on highway 401?" he asked me.
"Nope, I'm backroading it," I replied. "It's Black Friday."
"Ah, I see," said my fellow shopper. "You don't get too many deals."
"I agree. You probably do in the States."
It's nice that my guy and I are on the same page. For Canadians, the deals are better during the Boxing Day, week, or month sales.

4 comments:

  1. i know how you feel. we get pre christmas sales. post christmas sales. pre new year sales (is that even a thing?) post new year sales... pre ANY HOLIDAY sales and post EVERY HOLIDAY sales. even if the holiday in question isn't one that typically involves the buying of stuff. it's stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have summed up exactly how I feel. There is way too much of a commercial focus when it comes to holidays. Just enjoy them without going nuts on sales!

      Delete
  2. It depends on what you want/need as to whether you can find a good deal during Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales, CB. Unless they are advertising something I want at a good price, I stay away. LOL

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Naturally, today is Cyber Monday, so I'm in ignore mode. =)

      Delete