Thursday, April 04, 2019

Breaking bad news too soon

My boss broke the news to me that my incompetent colleague will be let go. I'm not sure if I agree with his move to announce this information so early when he does not have an exact date for her departure.

I had mentioned this comment last Friday to him. The last thing we need is for her to be sad for a while. She apparently wept in front of him and perhaps stayed at work longer than usual the other day. She took Wednesday off as she wasn't feeling well.

She is a nice person. She is simply not a suitable fit for the job at hand. I expected her to take it bad. However, I was hoping that he would have a solid departure date, so that she can prepare. Perhaps he wants her to get a head start with a job search.

I looked at her resume. It says that she is a fast learner. However, when I asked her in my second interview with her (her third), she said that she is a slow learner. Ugh!

Hindsight is easier. I flagged the slow learner comment with my manager. He dismissed it. He now regrets it.

I am hoping that this entire mess is dealt with soon.

2 comments:

  1. sometimes they want to hire someone so badly they dismiss a lot of things that ought to be red flags. I do hope she finds something that fits her better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too. She isn't handling it well, though. She has taken a couple of days off as sick days and is working from home today.

      Delete