Saturday, September 23, 2017

Quiet, productive workday when it typically isn't

This week has been busy. I have been working with the new student, preparing for my presentation to the team, and dealing with training another new employee next week when little is in place. With the last item, there is a holdup in the system, which will make training this person without a laptop a challenge.

I have trained a writer without a laptop before. It wasn't fun. I ended up repeating items again. What can you do, right?

It was a pretty quiet Friday, which I liked. Our team generally goes out on Friday, but only two people had said yes. My manager asked if I wanted to still go, as I was one of the yes people. I asked that it be cancelled. Instead, I grabbed lunch locally.

My student was sick. My manager wasn't feeling well, either. He decided to go to his family doctor for an appointment.

I asked the administrative assistant whether I could change my locker at work. Ever since our office moved to this site four years ago, my locker has never budged as far as location goes. I have been on and off teams like there's no tomorrow. I decided to leave my locker where it is, which is the opposite end of the floor from where I currently sit.

For a while, my teams have not changed. There is a free locker right next to my desk. I decided to take the plunge. The administrative assistant was fine with the swap. She got the operations manager to give me the key. I will go into work on Saturday to move my stuff. I am hoping that no one is there. Again, I like doing quiet work without any distractions.

I didn't have a chance to do the change on Friday. I spent it fixing the training materials. My last student did a good job at putting them together. The main problem with her slides is that she points to videos and has to switch between two different file locations.

I decided to include the videos in the slide deck. It's simply a question of playing each video when it's in front of me.

It's nice to do quiet work. It's rare for me, but I do take advantage of it when the opportunity presents itself.

2 comments:

  1. You sound so much happier, CB...there's something to be said for the comfort level when you've been with one company for a while. Having your locker next to your desk will be a lot more convenient. Hope logistics get straightened out and your student gets the laptop soon. Have a great weekend.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Cat. There is an easy about being with the same company for several years.

      It is mighty convenient to have all my belongings close by. The locker move went well.

      I'm afraid that I will be training the new hire on Monday with a loaner laptop. II can't do a lot of the proper configuration for her on it, but it's definitely better than not having a laptop at all!

      Hope that you are having a great weekend so far!

      Delete