Thursday, September 07, 2017

Car insurance - it boggles my mind

A week or two ago, I got a renewal statement for my car insurance. Normally, I glance over it and call it good. However, I decided to do a comparison between my current policy and the new one.

One of my deductibles ended up being reduced to $50. I also ended up paying an extra $35 a month on the new plan. If you multiply that increase by twelve, you would understand why I ended up calling my insurance company.

I asked about the reduced deductible. I was told that since I was a good customer with a decent driving record, my deductible was reduced. I went on to say that if I was indeed a good customer, why am I paying an extra $420 for the upcoming year? I can understand that rates go up every year, but this increase just boggled my mind.

My policy was changed such that I am now paying paying an extra $11 more a month by installing an app that tracks my driving habits. I tried it for the first week and hated that it drained my cell phone's battery life.

Naturally, I had to ask what happens to the data collected. Apparently, it stays with the company and is perfectly secure. Still, the fact that my battery drains by the end of the workday is ridiculous. In the past, I could be just fine charging my cell phone overnight. My battery would last the entire day. I am a medium user.

Anyway, I just uninstalled the app. I feel much better.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yea, CB...insurance companies...ya gotta love 'em. Don't get me started on what they've pulled on me! Grrrr

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have dealt with my insurance company way too much this year. I had two claims (someone sideswiped my car when I was shopping and I had a stone chip that required replacing my entire windshield). I didn't want to call about my rate increase, but I am glad that I have saved a bit of money for now.

      Here's hoping that it's smooth sailing for us in the insurance waters!

      Delete