Tuesday, September 15, 2020

My manager can ruin a perfectly nice day

I have an interesting working relationship with my manager. Sometimes, I dig what he does. Other times, I shake my head.

Our team has these brief chats at the end of the workday. Last week, he suggested that each person lead a chat with a topic. I was the first person to say that I liked how casual and natural it flows. We think of topics to discuss as if we were in the office, chatting in the lunch room. It should not be a structured meeting. It's a chat.

Yesterday, a colleague congratulated me on my ten-year work anniversary. Naturally, my manager ruined it by saying that in our human resources system, my start date working for the company is September 24 and that I should contact HR to have it fixed.

Why? I told him that I know what my start date is. Obviously, my three colleagues in this chat knew what my start date was, because they signed my virtual card. He dropped the ball by failing to sign it. He got the e-mail. He chose to not act on it.

Anyway, I contacted HR and spoke to a nice guy. I know that my manager won't and wouldn't do it. As noted, in the system, my start date is correct. However, my signed contract date is September 24, 2012. It's practically two years after I started working for the company, which obviously makes no sense! Anyway, he has a separate department who will fix this issue.

It's always nice when my manager ruins such a lovely occasion. It's not every day that one hits a milestone like what I just did. He could have been more attentive. That's just my take on it.

Anyway, my colleagues left me nice messages in my virtual card. They made Monday far more cheerful.

I got to select a gift to commemorate this occasion. I got a fancy tea steeper. I drink lots of tea, so it will come in handy. It will take a month to ship, which is the downside. Luckily, I am patient.

2 comments:

  1. I read this post a few days ago and it keeps irritating me so I had to add my own comment. As a manager to whom a significant number of people ultimately report into, I find his approach to this situation to be unacceptable. People are an organizations most valuable asset and to a) not acknowledge your accomplishment and b) not contribute to your virtual card is not right. I am glad you have immediate colleagues who did celebrate with you and, as a leader, I apologize for his behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your support. My manager is horrible at showing a human side to him. He did put a damper on my milestone. I am pleased that I pointed out that everyone in the chat but him got the news to sign my virtual card. He decided to deflect his mistake on me. I didn't and won't let that happen.

      He did attempt to make up for his ridiculousness. He signed my virtual card. We also have a recognition program, so I got enough points to redeem them for a gift card.

      I do not consider him to be a mentor for a number of reasons. This incident is certainly one of them.

      Delete