Thursday, July 04, 2013

Long weekend, long-distance call on my birthday

I have been away for nearly a week. I decided to extend my Canada Day long weekend. My birthday is a couple of days after our national holiday and I simply did not want to go into work!

My guy is on the road for three weeks. This week is the second week of three. He last wrote to me two Mondays ago. He has been exceptionally busy.

We are similar in that we don't announce to the world our birth dates. It's interesting. I have never truly had a huge, loud birthday bash. Neither has he. I am pretty good with remembering dates. My guy claims that he's bad at it, but he has yet to forget my birthday.

On Wednesday, I woke up at 08:00, which is early for a vacation day. However, it's rather late for a workday for me. I sat on my hotel bed, reading e-mails. At 08:25, my cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the phone number. It was obvious that it was a long-distance call. I decided to answer it.
"Hello, Cutiebootie speaking."
"Hello," he said.
"Hey!" I said, ecstatic to hear his voice.
"Are you awake?" he asked me, a bit apologetic for calling me so early, but knowing that I am an early riser.
"Do I sound sleepy? Am I dreaming?" I asked him, which made him chuckle in happiness.
"It's me, sweetie. Sweetie, it's me," he reassured me.
"I don't think so. Maybe you're using a phone app where you just talk into it and it sounds like my guy."
"No, it's really me. How are you?" he asked in his sweet way.
"I'm good now! How are you?"
"I'm good. I am calling to wish you a happy birthday."
"Aww, you're so sweet! Thanks for calling. You didn't have to."
"Yes, I did," he replied. "I needed to hear you voice."
Since we've been together, we have a knack for not being together on our birthdays. It's not planned. It just happens.

Well, this year has been different. We have spoken to each other on our birthdays. It's nice. It means a lot to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment