Thursday, July 16, 2020

Debt reduction is going well

I like the idea of providing a monthly update on reducing my debt. It is going extremely well.

July is a good month this year. I get paid three times, so I feel that I can pay off more debt.

I paid off my line of credit last month. It felt good. Luckily, the limit isn't huge. However, it took me a year to pay it off.

I still have two credit cards that are mine. I have one corporate card that sits there.

I use a MasterCard for daily purchases, such as groceries and takeout. I typically do debit, which has been helpful in reducing my debt and credit card usage. The other is an American Express card that I detest using. There is a backstory associated with my disgust for this company. The reason why I still have it is that I've been a customer since 2005 and it helps my credit rating.

As of late, I don't like these automated e-mails from American Express, stating in the subject line, "Future transactions may be declined." I am trying to figure out when this automated message disappears. It feels like Amex is being so kind to approve a transaction when my credit card isn't maxed out or close to its credit limit.

My credit score has increased by 16 points from the last score back in May. I am pleased. It has been hard work improving my credit score. I hope that it gets to a satisfactory level in twelve months. At this rate, I have a decent shot at it.

I am working from home for the rest of the year. I will continue to save more money, thanks to not commuting and fuelling my car with gas as often.

2 comments:

  1. i'm also working towards debt reduction. it's a real thing and i'm glad i'm not alone. strangely i don't have many friends in the same boat. they're clearly better at money management than me. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news! I was great at managing my finances for a while. Things happened a few years ago and those circumstances put me in a tight spot financially. I couldn't pay my debt as swiftly as I used to, which damaged my decent credit rating. It is hard work to rebuild it. I'm just so thankful that I'm on the right track again. =)

      Delete