Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Last day at work before Christmas vacation and getting a hug for being who I am

As crazy as work has been, especially since the defensive writer quit back in early November and I have had to take over her work while ditching many of the lead tasks that I did, I am finally on vacation. I go back in early January of next year.

There are times when a couple of writers make me feel small because they do not include me when it comes to lunch and such. It hurt, at first. I am over it now. I have come to realize that I am not missing out on much. It makes me frustrated when I see them goofing off as the rest of us are slaving away at our desks.

Tuesday was special. It wasn't just my last day of work before my vacation. It was the last day working with a co-op student who joined us in early October. I have been guiding her through various tasks since then.

Last Friday, we had our Christmas lunch. I was so thrilled when she won a prize. Our team never wins anything. Sure, for a twenty-year-old young woman, getting a home surveillance system isn't exactly exciting, but she is gifting it to her boyfriend, so it all works out.

Anyway, I asked my manager whether we would be having a farewell lunch for her. He said that our team lunch last Thursday was it. I wasn't thrilled about it. So, on Tuesday, I took her out for lunch.

The problem? My manager had stacked up interviews to hire a new co-op from 11:00 am to noon, and then from 1:30 pm till the end of the day. I really wanted to do lunch with the co-op. Luckily, the afternoon interviews didn't pan out, so lunch was on.

It's unfortunate, of course, that my workload will continue being stacked. Then again, I am on vacation, so I don't care much right now.

The co-op has a week left before she is done working with us. She has been delightful and I will miss her. She was kind to thank me for treating her to lunch. It was the least that I could do. I took her to a Polish restaurant by work. It's like a cafeteria, except that all the food there is homemade, such as perogies and chicken schnitzel. And, it's a restaurant with plenty of tables in a cozy setting. We both went with the rather large cabbage roll. She loved it. It reminded her of the cabbage rolls that her grandma makes. I did, too.

We chatted for 1.5 hours. We learned so much about each other. We are similar. Of course, I am twice her age. As an example, we both don't have any siblings. Yet, we are perfectly fine with the friends and family that we have. 

She had to leave an hour earlier than she normally does for a dentist's appointment. It was unexpected, but she came over to where I was sitting and hugged me.

I am obviously doing something right. It's nice to get that acknowledgement when you least expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment