Thursday, August 14, 2014

Depression and a movie

It saddened me to hear about Robin Williams's passing. He was too young to take his own life. May he rest in peace.

Depression is an illness. My guy has been talking about his battle with depression often, which I welcome. It does worry me when he doesn't open up, because it is difficult to tell how he is feeling. However, we talk often and he knows that I am there for him whenever he needs a good listener.

What is my favourite Robin Williams movie? Well, there are so many to choose from. I must admit that I love Dead Poets Society.

I was in high school when this movie came out. My closest friends and I hit the movie theatre to watch it. We all loved it. It was inspiring, moving, tragic, funny, and more.

I actually have Robert Sean Leonard's autograph, who went on to star in House. I could identify with Ethan Hawke's character in the movie, for I was a fairly quiet person who didn't enjoy public speaking back then. These days, I can't shut up!

Of course, this movie has a paddling scene. I secretly wanted to be paddled. I never told anyone that I liked this scene. Now, you all do.

I own this movie on VHS. Yes, I even have a dual VHS player, thanks to living in the States and watching QVC. I don't even know if GoVideo is still kicking around, but my double-decker VHS system still works.

Unfortunately, I am not sure where I put this movie, but I need to dig it up. Otherwise, I will need to get with the times by either downloading it off iTunes or getting a DVD version.

1 comment:

  1. Dead poets society is great! I'm glad your guy has a woman around that keeps an eye out for him. Depression is, we have seen it this week again, a terrible disease.

    Take care of yourself and those who love you,

    Han

    ReplyDelete