Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Starting a conversation with a condescending tone doesn't get far with me

It's interesting dealing with various departments and people to get things done. Well, sort of done.

Let's start with getting my retirement savings accounts (RRSPs) transferred from one bank to another. I need to open two new accounts with my primary bank. One is a regular RRSP account. The other one is a locked-in RRSP account where the money can't be touched until I retire.

I had to deal with another financial representative who called me after I was done work. The conversation did not start off well.

"Do you know that you have a locked-in retirement (LIRA) account?" he asked.
"Yes. I don't appreciate your condescending tone," I replied.

The day before, I had sent two completed forms back to my bank. One was for my regular RRSP account. The other for the LIRA. I knew exactly what I was doing. He had all forms in his position. He was just too lazy to look at them. 

I did a questionnaire a couple of days ago to determine what type of LIRA account would suit my needs. He did the same thing again, but did a cross reference between my answers over the phone and a previous one from a week ago for my regular RRSP account. I didn't get it. Wouldn't you want the get the results for the LIRA questionnaire that I did recently, as they are for this new LIRA account? It didn't make a whole lot of sense.

I was civil. I did say that we should get things over with by doing this questionnaire and thanked him at the end. He did apologize for being condescending. I think he let up when he asked me how much was in my LIRA and I told him right down to the cents.

I have more to unleash about my manager and our human resources department. I'll save that for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment