Sunday, October 29, 2017

Stressful Friday and a reflective, relaxing Saturday

On Friday, there was drama with the new writer on my team. She isn't working out.

I gave her a task to update a crucial page in our documentation. The details were outlined in a PowerPoint presentation. Our manager also got involved.

Before our meeting on Friday, we had had three previous meetings. Each time, we had changes that needed to be made.

Just before our meeting, my manager asked me whether I had reviewed her work. I indicated that I hadn't seen the link to it. Instead, we did a bit of an analysis.

In the meeting, it started out okay, except that her attention started focusing on something else. Figures. Her attention span is all over the place.

The meeting got worse when my manager and she confronted each another. What rubbed me the wrong way was that she found out through another writer on our team that my manager and I had reviewed her work beforehand. She claimed that it was still work in progress, which was the whole point of the meeting.

I didn't feel great about being accused of prematurely looking at her work at first. However, when you do go into a review meeting, it makes sense to review what is currently there. Is that crazy?

The changes are pretty straightforward. She ends up doing her own thing while not paying attention to important details. This page details what versions of various application can work with our software product. It's important. You can't make stuff up as you go.

She has a ton of issues. Whenever she gets a task, she has the need to meet the person and hold meetings. The rest of our team does not understand why she makes things more complex than they should be. You are giving a document. Just do the work. Why do you need to meet that person immediately?

She isn't the right fit for us.

It is unfortunate that we cannot fire her, which my manager has hinted. We have yet another hiring freeze and he cannot afford to throw me back into development work.

I feel much better today. It helps to have a decent night's sleep to unwind.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe ya need to sit down and have a come to Jesus meetin' with her. Oh and also with whoever told her you and your manager had reviewed her work. Maybe she needs a dictionary so she can read the definition of "review". Good luck!

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I have noticed with this woman is that she doesn't taken in what has been said to her. It's like talking to a wall. So, the Jesus meeting is definitely warranted, it won't register in memory.

      Oddly, I am not so concerned about the other colleague who told her that my boss and I had reviewed her work. We have nothing to hide, especially since my manager had sent edits for her to do a couple of hours before our meeting.

      Delete